OT: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC - must see
Hoosfoos
2009-04-09 04:23:02 UTC

feeniks©
2009-04-09 13:40:21 UTC
Post by Hoosfoos
http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw
Wow. You could cut the tension with a knife in there. I'm gonna guess
that the interviewer going on about Billy Bob Thornton instead of the
band is what set Thornton off, but the rest of the band looked
uncomfortable too. BB *is* best known for being an actor, whether or
not he wants to be taken seriously as a musician, he'd better get used
to the other thing as well. I'll give him credit for not wanting it to
be about him, if that's what it is, but I wonder why he was sitting
all by himself on one side of the table, and the other three were
hunched over away from him. I've heard the Boxmasters are good, I
guess I won't be going out of my way to listen to them....
foamy
2009-04-09 19:07:15 UTC
In article <2333e222-4a7c-45e8-91af-c7bd3cc7b139
@f19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?feeniks=A9?=
Post by feeniks©

Wow. You could cut the tension with a knife in there. I'm gonna guess
that the interviewer going on about Billy Bob Thornton instead of the
band is what set Thornton off, but the rest of the band looked
uncomfortable too. BB *is* best known for being an actor, whether or
not he wants to be taken seriously as a musician, he'd better get used
to the other thing as well.
The interviewer blew a great chance for a great historical line, when
Billy Bob asked, " Would you say that to Tom Petty ? "

Interviewer: " Why yes I would. I know Tom Petty, Tom Petty is a friend of
mine. And you Billy Bob, are no Tom Petty. "
Dutch
2009-04-09 19:57:54 UTC
Post by feeniks©
http://youtu.be/3DIJWS6qyy7bw
Wow. You could cut the tension with a knife in there. I'm gonna guess
that the interviewer going on about Billy Bob Thornton instead of the
band is what set Thornton off, but the rest of the band looked
uncomfortable too. BB *is* best known for being an actor, whether or
not he wants to be taken seriously as a musician, he'd better get used
to the other thing as well.
The interviewer blew a great chance for a great historical line, when
Billy Bob asked, " Would you say that to Tom Petty ? "
Interviewer: " Why yes I would. I know Tom Petty, Tom Petty is a friend of
mine. And you Billy Bob, are no Tom Petty. "
lol, or "No I wouldn't because he's a real musician, and you're celebrity
pretending to be one."
JD
2009-04-09 22:09:07 UTC
Some musicians would consider that a compliment.
db
2009-04-09 23:53:48 UTC
Post by feeniks©
http://youtu.be/3DIJWS6qyy7bw
Wow. You could cut the tension with a knife in there. I'm gonna guess
that the interviewer going on about Billy Bob Thornton instead of the
band is what set Thornton off, but the rest of the band looked
uncomfortable too. BB *is* best known for being an actor, whether or
not he wants to be taken seriously as a musician, he'd better get used
to the other thing as well.
The interviewer blew a great chance for a great historical line, when
Billy Bob asked, " Would you say that to Tom Petty ? "
Interviewer: " Why yes I would. I know Tom Petty, Tom Petty is a friend of
mine. And you Billy Bob, are no Tom Petty. "
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. Some things I might respond with:

Interviewer: "Geez I wouldn't know what to say to Tom Petty. That guy's a
legend!"

Interviewer: "Haha- like I could land an interview with a major musician.
No, seriously..."

Interviewer: "I dunno. Say, you didn't really nail Angelina Jolie, did
you? I mean, no offense but c'mon."

v***@yahoo.co.uk
2009-04-09 20:34:24 UTC
Post by feeniks©
Post by Hoosfoos
http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw
Wow. You could cut the tension with a knife in there. I'm gonna guess
that the interviewer going on about Billy Bob Thornton instead of the
band is what set Thornton off,
...the band was distinctly uncomfortable, one guy picking his
fingernails, one guy fiddling with a cable. There was zero interface
between BBT and his guys, but from the bands subdued demeanor and
their effort to answer questions politely, they must have known from
BB in advance that he was going to be a prick deliberately.

But he must be sensitive about the acting part:

from a review of a Huntsville Aabama show:

"One surprise did come right in the middle of the second half of the
concert. Thornton asked for the theatre lights to be turned up so that
he could see the audience. He said: "I don't usually do this in my
shows, but tonight I'm going to take seven questions from the audience
about my movies and I'll answer them."

The first question was more of a statement from a middle-aged lady who
said that she could not see Thornton's character, Carl Childers from
SlingBlade in BBT himself. She said, "You are very thin. I can't see
Carl in you at all."

Thornton said, 'I never do this anywhere because this character is
sacred to me, but since I'm here in Alabama, I'll show you Carl'.

And with that said, BBT turned his back to the crowd, got into
character and turned and faced the audience. And there before our very
eyes stood the SlingBlade hero Carl Childers himself. BBT did a little
dialog from the movie in Carl's voice and the audience cheered
wildly."

also...
"The group, which came together two years ago, knows [the hard life]
world, Thornton said. "We all enjoy smoking, drinking and making
music," guitarist Butler said from the bus, which he admitted was
smoke-filled."

Maybe BBT was pissed off because he couldn't smoke in the studio.

Personally, I like some of his music, hate other, but his is not the
comes-in-cans-by-the-case typical contemporary country music that
tries to be crossover and fails at both ends.

Marsh
Dutch
2009-04-09 19:56:07 UTC
Post by Hoosfoos
http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw
Wihout reading between the lines too much I would say Billy Bob is put off
by "reserved" Canadian audiences (mashed potatoes without the gravy) and
made a conscious decision to see what would happen if he acted like a
complete jackass in this interview. From the content I'm guessing he tried
something like it in one his concerts and the audience didn't bite either. I
think it was to the credit of this interviewer that he didn't take the bait.
Fuck BB, I like him but he ain't all that.
Dr. Tobias Funke
2009-04-09 22:21:45 UTC
Post by Hoosfoos
http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw
lol Anyone notice the monitor where it said "If this really goes sideways -
I have new Neil, new Metric standing by."?