Dave Nonis Press Conference
Doogster
2006-04-18 19:33:56 UTC
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
can't expect there to be too many changes. He endorsed Crawford, Naslund
and Bertuzzi and nixed any idea there would be any major bloodletting
for missing the playoffs. In fact, he cited the Canucks record over the
last 4 years to justify sticking with the core.

If anything, he prepared the way for losing players (probably meaning
Jovo) since "that's the reality of the game today." All in all it was
pretty disappointing. I didn't hear any praise for the Sedins' play but
he went out of his way to say the people expect too much of Markus and
that, if anything, he tries to do too much.

To summarize - phhhhfffffffffft.

Doug
Big Time
2006-04-18 19:55:51 UTC
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
can't expect there to be too many changes. He endorsed Crawford, Naslund
and Bertuzzi and nixed any idea there would be any major bloodletting
for missing the playoffs. In fact, he cited the Canucks record over the
last 4 years to justify sticking with the core.
Yes, with playoff success like they've had, it would be foolish to consider
otherwise *shakes head*

Anything less than Crawford's head on a stick and I'll never watch the
Canucks again.

Okay, I'll watch, but I won't like it.

Okay, I'll like it when they win, but when they lose I'll say I told ya so.
zerok
2006-04-18 20:10:58 UTC
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
can't expect there to be too many changes. He endorsed Crawford, Naslund
and Bertuzzi and nixed any idea there would be any major bloodletting
for missing the playoffs. In fact, he cited the Canucks record over the
last 4 years to justify sticking with the core.
If anything, he prepared the way for losing players (probably meaning
Jovo) since "that's the reality of the game today." All in all it was
pretty disappointing. I didn't hear any praise for the Sedins' play but
he went out of his way to say the people expect too much of Markus and
that, if anything, he tries to do too much.
To summarize - phhhhfffffffffft.
Doug
I hope, I really really hope that this is just for the media. If he starts
next year with Crow as the coach and Bert in the line-up I will scream for
hours then start investing my time on the Salmon Kings. If it wasn't talent
then it was leadership and intangibles so he just screwed his own argument.
It became obvious that this team either didn't have a gameplan or didn't
have the horses to play the plan.

Look at the roster - they were supposed to be a fast skating team that could
score, but where is the speed? Naslund looked slow all year, the back end is
full of slow footed skaters (minus Jovo). Ruutu, Burrows, Sedins, Linden,
Goren all slow. A little speed in Carter, Park skates nowhere really fast,
Cooke gets hurt lacing up his skates. Enough already, fire the coach or get
a new group in that can actually skate.

I am starting to hate on this dude. The team needs a little belligerence and
it is not coming from the "core" a group of four letters I now despise. If
you are just too damn cheap to fire Crawford then you should be rewarded
with empty seats by game 30 next year. This could stem from arcane ownership
situation - a 50-50 split just doesn't work, no one will make a decision.
Chicken Neck (who is obviuously a Aquilini (sp) fan probally because he was
the guy who wasn't bringing Burkie back) was going on and on the other day
on 1040 about how they are taking their time hiring a new president and have
hired a headhunter to do it and how this was a good thing. WTF!!! There are
only a handful of people who can take that job and if you can't find them on
your own you have no business running a team.

Without a President Nonis can continue to sit on his ass and roll the dice
with the shit that has been assembled. The only solace I take is that if
they think the current string of sell outs will continue if the team misses
the playoffs again they are sadly mistaken. Vancouver will support a winner
at the gate, but they have never supported a losing team and with the
bitterness left after this fiasco rats will be scurrying from the sinking
ship.

Ahhh ... feel a bit better now.
kim
2006-04-18 21:07:19 UTC
Post by zerok
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
[...]
Nice rant. I, too, am hoping this was just sound bites for the media.
There really isn't much he can say about the players if he is wanting
to move any of them, but a good GM will see what has happened here and
make their own conclusion. Too bad Milbury isn't still a GM as he
might have taken Bertuzzi back. ;)

Can I join you in your screams if Crawford is still here in the fall.

Kim
Auggie
2006-04-18 20:55:23 UTC
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
can't expect there to be too many changes. He endorsed Crawford, Naslund
and Bertuzzi and nixed any idea there would be any major bloodletting
for missing the playoffs. In fact, he cited the Canucks record over the
last 4 years to justify sticking with the core.
Should be expected, because:
1) If he dumps on any of the players and/or coaches and they are still here
next season then they are going to have somebody who feels they aren't
wanted, leave a dark cloud over the team and be the seed for a brewing
animosity.

2) If he says anything bad about any players or that he wants to trade them,
then he would be dealing from a position of weakness. Teams will say "Hey
you *said* you want to get rid of Naslund and that Todd really stunk the
joint up last season... if they were that bad then I think my 3 draft picks
and a prospect D-man are a fair trade"
Post by Doogster
If anything, he prepared the way for losing players (probably meaning
Jovo) since "that's the reality of the game today." All in all it was
pretty disappointing. I didn't hear any praise for the Sedins' play but
he went out of his way to say the people expect too much of Markus and
that, if anything, he tries to do too much.
I'm going to speculate that if the Canucks miss the playoffs neither the
coach nor players will take the blame and get the boot.
The statement that comes from GM place will probably be something along
the
Post by Doogster
1) The full season lockout last year and the number of players who did and
didn't get a chance to play overseas
2) Losing Cloutier early in the season and having to rely on a rookie
goaltender who had no backup and had to shoulder almost the whole season
himself.
3) The Olympic break (always safe to blame the olympics, especially when
Team Canada Men's Hockey didn't do so good)
4) Losing so many key players on defense before and during the olympic
break
Post by Doogster
to injury (Jovo, Ohlund, Salo) and leaving the team with little to no
experience on defense.
5) Naslund played the season injured and never quite recovered to his true
form.
6) The continuing fallout from the Steve Moore incident was a distraction
Post by Doogster
not only Bertuzzi, but the team as a whole.
7) The rules changes, the increased number of 3 point games due to the
shootout and how strict everything was being called.
8) Losing two key players on defense due to the salary cap (Sopel and
Malik).
They'll probably go into backing the above and how "different" a season it
was by noting how a team like NY Rangers went from bottom dwellers in the
league to division leaders after the lockout... or how the Pittsburgh
Penguins went and bolstered the lineup around Sidney Crosby only to end
the
Post by Doogster
season as one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL.
And then after listing off excuses they'll probably wrap it up with
"We were a strong team, but in a strong confrence and an even stronger
division... and this new format of extra games against division rivals is
great if you are team like Detroit with Nashville, Columbus, St Louis and
Chicago in your division and two good teams can really wrack up the points
playing against the bottom dwellers of the league... but for a team like
Vancouver its very difficult when your division is Calgary, Colorado,
Edmonton and Minnesota."
I expect there will be changes, but I'm not expecting wholesale changes and
massive headhunting to go on at GM Place because there are just so many
excuses they can use to justify the team not making the playoffs and why
they should keep the core.

Clint
Josh Pfrimmer
2006-04-18 21:18:35 UTC
Post by Doogster
He endorsed Crawford,
Actually, I thought it was a "damned with faint praise" kind of
endorsement for Crawford. I got the distinct impression that he is
planning on making a change at the coaching level, and that his comments
were designed to a)buy him time to make that move on his own terms, and
b)be kind to Squeaky so that he will be employable elsewhere. (and by
doing so, ensure that another coach will be willing to work for Orca Bay).

There was praise, yes. But there was a lot of "someone's head must
roll" talk, as well as "the skill was there, but not the motivation."
And whenever he was asked directly about the changes he would make
(like: "Is your first priority to address the coaching?") his response
was a very guarded "Well, we'll check everything, but we're not going to
do anything in the next couple of days" Whereas he was definitive about
defending Naslund, Trevor, and Noronen.

In all, I was really left with the impression that Crawford is going to
go. Also that the goalie sitch won't be addressed, and that there will
be other changes due to cap/contract issues, including the loss of some
key players, but no wholesale changes.

JP
joe
2006-04-18 21:41:52 UTC
Post by Josh Pfrimmer
Also that the goalie sitch won't be addressed, and that there will
be other changes due to cap/contract issues, including the loss of some
key players, but no wholesale changes.
He would be remiss is he made any major changes before finding out what
next year's cap is going to be. Weren't there rumours that it could rise
to something like $42.5M ?

Joe
Big Time
2006-04-18 22:17:43 UTC
Post by joe
He would be remiss is he made any major changes before finding out what
next year's cap is going to be. Weren't there rumours that it could rise
to something like $42.5M ?
That's the low end. The talk is it will be last 43 mill and possibly as
high as 46. The players apparently have some say in this and for some
reason Saskin is trying to talk them into the lower number which is ruffling
feathers. I believe the reasoning has to do with the possibility of escrow
kicking in the higher the cap number.
Warr
2006-04-18 22:19:04 UTC
Post by joe
Post by Josh Pfrimmer
Also that the goalie sitch won't be addressed, and that there will
be other changes due to cap/contract issues, including the loss of some
key players, but no wholesale changes.
He would be remiss is he made any major changes before finding out what
next year's cap is going to be. Weren't there rumours that it could rise
to something like $42.5M ?
Joe
I thought it was raising 5-6 million more then last season.

warr
db
2006-04-18 23:55:50 UTC
Post by Josh Pfrimmer
Post by Doogster
[...]
My initial reaction to Doog's analysis was "Welp, thanks for the memories
but this might be the final push I need to spend my remaining emotional
energy on another NHL team" (it's hard enough to follow the Canucks out east
without forking over the $$ for Centre Ice, and as they're moving more and
more to pay-per-view, good luck to 'em)...
but,
I will exercise a bit of restraint (sudb) in examining these words from
Nonis cautiously. However...I need to see substantial change (not cleaning
house, but not a light dusting either) in order to stay with this sad-sack
franchise that has an absentee owner, no president, a less expensive
understudy GM, a coach that has lost the support of his team, a
roll-the-dice goaltending strategy and a mediocre farm system.
ajh
2006-04-19 00:29:19 UTC
Post by db
Post by Josh Pfrimmer
Post by Doogster
[...]
I listened to Nonis and came away with the sense that he was saying the
only things he could say. It would do him and the team no good to
criticize coaches and players at the "state of the union address".

I am not a happy camper (to put it mildly), and Nonis has done nothing
to inspire confidence as yet. I will judge him, however, by what
changes are made prior to the start of next season, not by the content
of a lame, almost embarrassing media event.
Doogster
2006-04-19 03:08:09 UTC
Post by ajh
I listened to Nonis and came away with the sense that he was saying the
only things he could say. It would do him and the team no good to
criticize coaches and players at the "state of the union address".
I am not a happy camper (to put it mildly), and Nonis has done nothing
to inspire confidence as yet. I will judge him, however, by what
changes are made prior to the start of next season, not by the content
of a lame, almost embarrassing media event.
You're right when we say we'll have to judge him by his actions rather
than this press conference. But he didn't instill me with confidence
when he defended this team by saying they got the 4th highest points
total in Canucks history. True - if you want to ignore the inflated
points totals across the league thanks to OT and the shootout.

Or when he defends the team by citing their 40 wins four years in a row.
Big damn deal when you look at their playoff record and the team's
performance in games that mean anything.

I didn't expect him to be completely candid but I would have liked to
hear him say something about how unacceptable it is to miss the playoffs
and how the fans deserve better filling every seat for the last 200+
home games in a row. Instead, he sounded like Naslund after another
lacklustre loss dishing out platitudes and looking mournful for the
cameras.

Doug

Bob in Kits

meetz
2006-04-19 01:26:05 UTC
Post by Bob in Kits
"db" wrote in message
Post by db
My initial reaction to Doog's analysis was "Welp, thanks for the memories
but this might be the final push I need to spend my remaining emotional
energy on another NHL team" (it's hard enough to follow the Canucks out
east without forking over the $$ for Centre Ice, and as they're moving
more and more to pay-per-view, good luck to 'em)...
but,
I will exercise a bit of restraint (sudb)
Hey! No fair!
The circle has closed.
Check for signs of armageddon.
BobInBoulder
2006-04-18 22:37:03 UTC
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
can't expect there to be too many changes. He endorsed Crawford, Naslund
and Bertuzzi and nixed any idea there would be any major bloodletting
for missing the playoffs. In fact, he cited the Canucks record over the
last 4 years to justify sticking with the core.
If anything, he prepared the way for losing players (probably meaning
Jovo) since "that's the reality of the game today." All in all it was
pretty disappointing. I didn't hear any praise for the Sedins' play but
he went out of his way to say the people expect too much of Markus and
that, if anything, he tries to do too much.
To summarize - phhhhfffffffffft.
As an Av fan, please let me say that I stand behind Nonis 100% in his
endorsements. Unfortunately, the past few seasons have not been so good for
PL either. Tony Granato as a head coach? Morris and Ballard for
Vaanaaananenan and Gratton? Letting the best player in hockey go by
lowballing the hell out of him? Pierre Turgeon, Patrice Breezeby and Brad
May? Generally preparing for the "new NHL" by getting older and slower?
Trading a hot goaltender, in the middle of a playoff push, for an injured
one with a huge salary number who prior to his injury was playing like hell?
kim
2006-04-18 23:31:19 UTC
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:37:03 -0600, "BobInBoulder"
Post by BobInBoulder
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
[...]
Some of it has been a head scratcher, especially the Theodore trade.
Perhaps PL felt that lightening could strike twice out of Montreal.

Kim
Yammer
2006-04-18 23:43:38 UTC
Yeah that would suck...but, I admire PL generally. He's made some big
bold moves, keeps the team competitive.
Bob in Kits
2006-04-19 01:04:24 UTC
Post by BobInBoulder
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
[...]
You guys lowballed Ovechkin?

BobInBoulder
2006-04-19 01:12:27 UTC
Post by Bob in Kits
Post by BobInBoulder
Post by Doogster
From the excerpts I've heard from Nonis' press conference today, we
[...]
He is pretty amazing, isn't he? But already better than Forsberg? Or has
Forsberg slipped just enough .... ? Hard to say. Don't matter, neither one
is ours. But we have May. How did you guys not improve by losing May?
joe
2006-04-19 02:20:13 UTC
Post by BobInBoulder
He is pretty amazing, isn't he? But already better than Forsberg?
Forsberg's great, but there's no way your team could have afforded
all three of Sakic, Blake, and him. One of those guys pretty much
had to go.

Joe
Mattuzzi
2006-04-19 01:30:45 UTC
Post by Doogster
If anything, he prepared the way for losing players (probably meaning
Jovo) since "that's the reality of the game today." All in all it was
pretty disappointing. I didn't hear any praise for the Sedins' play but
he went out of his way to say the
people expect too much of Markus and
that, if anything, he tries to do too much.
i like this bit, what should "people" expect from the captain?