"You Changed My Life": Canucks Trainer Grateful After Seattle Fan Spots Cancerous Mole On His Neck Which Was Melanoma Which He Has Had Removed.
Gregory Carr
2022-01-01 21:39:30 UTC
"You changed my life": Canucks trainer grateful after Seattle fan spots cancerous mole on his neck
Rob Williams

Jan 1 2022, 12:10 pm

Vancouver Canucks/Instagram
The Vancouver Canucks have found a real life hero.

During the first-ever Seattle Kraken home game on October 23, a fan sitting behind the Canucks bench noticed something very specific and very important — and it had nothing to do with the game being played on the ice.

It was a mole on the neck of Brian “Red” Hamilton, the Canucks assistant equipment manager.

She found the mole concerning enough to get the longtime Canucks trainer’s attention during the game.

Hamilton says the mole on the back of his neck was malignant melanoma, which is a type of skin cancer. Thanks to the fan, he had it looked at by a doctor, and got it removed.

“I am trying to find a very special person and I need the hockey community’s help,” Hamilton said in a letter posted to Canucks social media channels today. “To this woman I am trying to find, you changed my life, and now I want to find you to say THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!”

The Canucks are playing in Seattle again tonight, making this the perfect time to reconnect.

“The message you showed me on your cell phone will forever be etched into my brain and has made a true life-changing difference for me and my family. Your instincts were right and that mole on the back of my neck was a malignant melanoma and thanks to your persistence and the quick work of our doctors, it is now gone.

“I want you all to know that this isn’t about me. It’s about an incredible person taking the time to notice something concerning and then finding a way to point it out during the chaos of a hockey game. Going to great lengths to get my attention from the stands while I did my job on the Canucks bench. We are looking for this incredible person and we need you to share this with your friends and families to help us find a real life hero, so I can express my sincerest gratitude.”

The woman has been identified already, the Canucks confirmed.

It appears word spread through the “Ladies of the Kraken” Facebook group. A woman named Yukyung Nelson posted in the group that this was her daughter, who she says has been accepted into multiple medical schools.

Nelson added that they have season tickets behind the visiting team’s bench, and that her real life hero daughter will be at the game again tonight.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-trainer-grateful-seattle-kraken-fan-spots-cancerous-mole-neck

Glad he got that medical problem fixed. A relative of mine is recovering from skin cancer it is expected to go well. My Grandpa who made it to 92 beat skin cancer. Hats off to Yukyung Nelson! Canucks play the Kraken at 7 PM tonight. BC Cancer Agency is a good charity to donate to.
Gregory Carr
2022-01-02 23:05:25 UTC
Post by Gregory Carr
Post by Gregory Carr
"You changed my life": Canucks trainer grateful after
Seattle fan spots cancerous mole on his neck Rob Williams

Post by Gregory Carr
Glad he got that medical problem fixed. A relative of mine
is recovering from skin cancer it is expected to go well.
My Grandpa who made it to 92 beat skin cancer. Hats off to
Yukyung Nelson! Canucks play the Kraken at 7 PM tonight.
BC Cancer Agency is a good charity to donate to.
I heard this story mentioned during another team's broadcast
without much detail.
Good on the daughter (and future doctor) for both spotting
the problem and getting the message across. It sounds as
though she had some trouble getting the guy's attention,
which is somewhat understandable both during a game and
coming from "the enemy" behind the visitor's bench. Sounds
like she's persistent enough to make it through med school
too. ;)
I'll add a "Go Bruce" too.
Nyssa, who wonders why none of the team's doctors or
medical trainers noticed the problem considering all of
the time they all spend together
That is what I was thinking but it turns out it would not have been a major problem until 4 more years. I would assume the trainer gets checked out by his Dr every 6 months or annually and the mole was recent. The woman was smart and observant did something and the problem was solved. She was quickly tracked down by social media. https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/02/canucks-kraken-reward-fan-noticed-cancerous-mole-staffer the Kraken and Canucks teamed up to give her $10k to cover medical school expenses she has already graduated University Of Washington and was given a standing ovation when was announced to the Kraken crowd. Skin cancer can be easily cured if caught early.

Canucks won the game 5-2. https://canucksaggr.com/stories/21429/canucks-beat-the-kraken-5-2-tanner-pearson-with-the-gordie-howe-hat-trick Tanner Pearson had a Gordie Howe hat trick Demko made 30 saves Canucks have points in 9 games straight 5 different players scored. J.T. Miller has a nine game point streak.
Bruce Boudreau – Unnamed Hyannisport player (#7) had a cameo in the movie Slapshot.
Nyssa
2022-01-03 13:59:39 UTC
Post by Gregory Carr

Post by Gregory Carr
Tanner Pearson had a Gordie Howe hat trick Demko made 30
saves Canucks have points in 9 games straight 5 different
players scored. J.T. Miller has a nine game point streak.
Bruce Boudreau ? Unnamed Hyannisport player (#7) had a
cameo in the movie Slapshot.
And they used Bruce's apartment in Johnstown to film the
scenes in the coach's (Paul Newman's) apartment.

Nyssa, who liked the St. Bernard too, but Bruce said that
the dog wasn't his